Monday, May 31, 2010

Things I Love and Don't about Summer

Things I Love
  • Longer days
  • Heat during the day and cool refreshing breezes at night (not humid here in CO you guys...perfect)
  • Thunderstorms
  • Fresh air and open windows - the sound of crickets and my wind chimes when I'm falling asleep
  • The smells of flowers, plants and barbecues in the air
  • Digging in the dirt, planting flowers, and watching them grow
  • Hanging out with neighbors outside
  • Kids outside most of the day and constantly busy playing
  • Popsicles and ice cream
  • Plenty of Vitamin D
  • Staying up later, sleeping later
  • Not having to worry about the kids' school
  • Summer trips
  • Birds - like the Tree Swallows nesting in my bird house, the Goldfinches that come and go and the Pinyon Jay I saw this morning
  • Fun insects - like lady bugs, cool non-threatening spiders, butterflies, dragonflies...
Things I Don't
  • Too hot to play outside or to leave the windows open. And - the air conditioner cranking way up in the evening when I don't want to be cooled off anymore. Dumb.
  • Buying, thinking about and applying sunscreen.
  • Bees. Especially the huge swarm that's moved into a crevice in my deck right outside my back door.
  • Lack of schedule or structure because there's no school
  • Packing for and cleaning up after summer trips
  • Not so fun insects - like bees, yucky spiders, earwigs and slugs
  • Kids super dirty every single night when it's time for bed
  • Going to the pool
  • Honey doesn't get a summer break from work
  • Doggy allergies - I mean, the allergic reactions my dogs suffer from various unknowns outside - fine one minute, covered in big itchy bumps the next. OR, my poor little dog that's limping right now because her foot got stung by one of those stinkin' bees

No comments: