Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Kitchen's Gonna Be Busy

I have some stuff coming up. A special dessert for a family this Wednesday. Four small white fondant cakes due this weekend. A Caramel Pumpkin Gingersnap Cheesecake for a friend's birthday that I want to drop off next Sunday. Thirty-six or fourty-something cakeball cones for my nephew's baptism in two weeks. Maybe something fun for Halloween. At least thirty-six cupcakes for my son's football team end-of-the season get-together. And, ready for this one? One hundred cupcakes for our YW in Excellence on November 16. Somewhere along the way, I need to get one or two more nice cupcake pans/tins...what do you call them? Not to mention the things I may want to bake for Thanksgiving. We will be in NJ this year, but I know my husband will also want to have something here at home. He likes to have those leftovers in the fridge.

Moving on....I don't know if it's the fall weather. I don't know if it's my self-imposed cutting out of sugar, processed foods, soda and the like - for 30 days. But I want to bake. I want to cook. I want to buy food and make food and give food away because I don't want to eat it. Of course I WANT to eat it. But I don't want to, because my rear end doesn't need it. Nor does my middle section. (I've recently come to the conclusion that I gain weight in my stomach like my paternal grandmother AND my hips like my maternal grandmother. Double whammy!)

Do you want some food? Do you want me to make you a dessert and just drop it off on a random day? I would LOVE to! These are the things I have written down to try sometime in the near future. These are only the things I saw this morning on The Pioneer Woman.

  • Braised Short Ribs with Creamy Goat Cheese Polenta
  • The Bread
  • Tres Leches Cake
  • Cinnamon Bread
  • Bacon Onion Cheddar Biscuits
  • PW Dinner Rolls
  • The Pie That'll Make You Cry
  • Strawberry Shortcake Cake
This really is a short list. Notice the number of bread items? I have an unnatural fear of making bread. It makes me nervous. It freaks me out. And I can go years between attempts before I feel the urge to dig in and try again. The Bread is simple. It doesn't require me to actually make the bread. It's simply instructions on what to do with an already made loaf of french bread. Easy. Biscuits are easy. Mix and drop. No biggie. But homemade cinnamon bread and dinner rolls? I can already feel that knot in my stomach forming. Landee can make some tasty rolls. She ties them in a knot even. I've heard (only heard) about her orange rolls. This makes me feel like I might just have a chance. Maybe it's possible. Maybe I should beg her to teach me. Maybe I should just beg her to make them for me instead. Rest assured, my blogging readers (however few you may be) I will post my attempts and the results, regardless of how they turn out. Disasters teach us all a lesson, right?

2 comments:

Elder Jack Anderson said...

It's the fall weather. It's having the same effect on me. I just want to make goodies and eat them. Yikes.

I have muffin pans you can borrow for your big 100 cupcakes project if you want. And we are making orange rolls around Christmas time. Put it on your calendar.

Bread stuff is easy... you just need the right mixer, flour, yeast, recipe.....etc. :)

Eve said...

Feel free to add me to your list of "taste testers". I'd love to try a dessert or anything :) My boys could not stop raving about the treats you made for Rose Downs' party. I want to watch you work with fondunt(sp?) sometime. I've only tried it once and I was a mess with it.